Editor's Picks(1-4 of 8)
Getting Usa Visa - Rules, Documents And Tips
* Valid Passport
* Photographs (Special Size)
* Original DS-156, nonimmigrant visa application form.
* Original DS-157, supplemental nonimmigrant visa application form.
* Latest income tax returns for last 3 years (i.e., Form 16 or Form 2D).
* Bank balance for atleast say 6 months
* Original documents regarding employment/business/profession with salary/income details, agreement regarding partnership if running business in partnership, company registration certificate if own business, pension book if retired and getting pension.
* Other financial papers (e.g., bank fixed deposits, shares, life insurance policies, bonds, etc.)
* Documents about the family (e.g., marriage certificate, birth certificates of any children, etc.)
* If you hold any social or professional designations in India, proof related to that.
* If you are employed, get a letter from an employer showing that your leave is sanction for XX months, and you are expected to join duty back on MM/DD/YYYY.
* If you have traveled to US earlier on any visa and came back to home country on time, show the proof as per stamps in your passport or copies of plane tickets or boarding passes.
* If you have been to the US earlier and applied for extension of stay, you must present a Form I-797 Extension of Status Approval Notice during your subsequent visa interview.
* A No Objection Certificate (NOC) or Letter and leave sanction letter if the applicant is in Government service or with any of the Armed Forces. If you are employed in private place, your leave sanction letter.
* Cover letter highlighting the nature of the visit, reason for travel and other relevant information. Preferably written in bullet points and less than 1 page.
* Family photographs of close family.
* If you are employed or have business, your visiting card (business card).
* If you are retired and get pension, your pension book.
* Air tickets: If they ask for return air ticket, tell them it will be purchased after the visa is issued. Don’t show one way air ticket in any case.
* Visitors Travel Medical insurance: It is highly recommended that you should carry Visitor Medical Insurance for your USA trip, be it short or long term. By clicking, you could Compare and Buy Now Overseas Travel Medical Insurance of your choice from here.
Application fee and service charge to be paid in advance at participating HDFC bank before taking an appointment. Visa fee receipt issued by HDFC bank with two bar code stickers to be carried to the consulate at the time of interview. Documents include:
* Interview appointment letter
* Supporting documents
* Original Birth Certificate for children below 14 years of age.
Business travelers need a letter from their employer indicating the purpose and length of the trip as well as the firm’s intent to pick the costs of the trip including Travel Insurance, or an explanation of sources of funds for the USA trip. If you are a business traveler and your company is financing your visit, you can carry relevant proof of the same. It is prudent to carry company’s Balance Sheet, source of funds, income tax papers and any media coverage, advertisement, brochures etc. If you are going to US for a conference, show proof of registration. It is always good to carry the invitation letter from American company, as many a times VISA Officer at the window will ask for it.
For Holiday seekers / Tourists and others traveling to the United States for pleasure, evidence by the applicants outlining their plans in the United States and explaining the reasons they will return to India (family ties, employment, or similar binding obligations). Other evidence may include letters of invitation from relatives or friends in the United States whom the applicant plans to visit, confirmation of participation in group tours, an invitation to an event such as printed wedding invitation or invitation to attend graduation, etc.
For persons traveling to the U.S. for medical treatment, evidence should include a statement from a doctor or institution accepting the patient for the proposed medical treatment, an estimate of the cost of the treatment, and documentation of how these costs will be met. Applicants going to the U.S. for medical treatment must also go to a U.S. Embassy Panel Physician to determine whether the treatment is available in India or necessary to be done in the United States.
Self-sponsored applicants may show evidence of financial resources through bank statements and tax returns for the past 3 years.
Dependents joining their spouse on board ship need to carry their original marriage certificate and entire wedding photo album along with the spouse’s visa copy.
United States Immigration and Nationality Act
Applicants for visitor visas must show that they qualify under the provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act. The presumption in the Act is that every applicant is an intending immigrant. Therefore, applicants must overcome this presumption by demonstrating that:
* the purpose of their trip is to enter the United States temporarily for business or pleasure or medical treatment;
* Applicant plan to remain for a specific, limited period;
* Applican has a residence outside the United States and the intent to return abroad at the conclusion of the visit.
Documents showing that they will return to the home country after their temporary stay in the United States. Thus their stay is temporary. For example, job proof, property proof, bank accounts, family ties etc.
Proof of property such as House, Shop, Godown etc. Take the original ownership papers. Also take the property estimate given by the Chartered Accountant that may include items such as land, flat, jewelery etc. in addition to the real estate property. Also get the personal affidavit regarding property. Business should show how much they earned last year. Say that you have old parents you need to take care of. And you have one unmarried son and you need to do arrangements for his arranged marriage after your return. Also describing the nature of the trip and details of the itinerary is helpful.
* There is no guarantee that the visa will be issued even if you bring all the documents and evidences.
* 20 years validity passports - Contrary to the news in some Indian newspapers, 20 year passports are valid and recognized by US government.
How to Apply for a Non-immigrant US Visa at the US Embassy or US Consulate in India - VFS
Step 1: All nonimmigrant visa applicants except “Officials travelling on government business” and “Officials of international organisation travelling for official purpose” must pay the Application Fee and VFS Service Charge at a designated branch of HDFC bank before applying for a visa. Click here for more information.
Step 2: Return to this site and click on the Apply for a Non-immigrant Visa link once the fees are paid. You will need to use the barcode number from your HDFC Bank Fee Receipt in order to schedule an appointment.
Step 3: Report to the US Embassy or Consulate where your appointment for a visa interview is scheduled. You will need to bring the printed Appointment Letter, the Visa Application Forms, one recent photograph, the original HDFC Bank Fee Receipt with its two barcode stickers. Applications without an original HDFC Bank Receipt or with an incorrect photograph will NOT be accepted.
Procedure to schedule an online interview at the Mumbai Consulate
Applicants can seek information at any US Visa Application Centre located in 11 cities across India. Applicants scheduled at the Mumbai Consulate (only) must submit their visa application packs across-the-counter at the US Visa Application centres located in West India after scheduling their online interview appointment.
Important: Check the appointment availability before making travel arrangements or paying the visa application and service fees.
News and Reviews - Travelling to USA? Honestly, now you don’t need to wait for an agent to chase you for your Travel Insurance Policy. You could Click-Compare-Buy your policy online, across Insurance companies, at your own pace only from Insurance Mall. Just click your choice link below and you are all set:
• Compare and Buy Now Indian Travel Insurance (Resident Indians only)
• Compare and Buy Now Schengen Visa Insurance (All Citizens upto age 99)
• Compare and Buy Now Global Visitors Medical Insurance (All Citizens upto age 99)